The Frontier Fellowship exists to give opportunity and access to poets in the margins of our community. We’re seeking emerging writers traditionally under represented by mainstream magazines and presses, in order to make that “breaking in” a little easier.
Twice a year, we will award a poet with the Frontier Fellowship: $500 grant meant to be used toward covering industry submission costs, multiple publications (original poetry and prose) in Frontier, participation in our editorial community, and introductions to agents and presses. We customize our fellowships to meet the needs of our chosen fellow: hours per month, number of publications, and publication involvement will vary based on our fellow's availability.
For the Summer Fellow of 2018, we are accepting applications from poets who are 50 or older and who do not have a full-length collection published or forthcoming at the time of submission.
In your application please include:
- A cover letter with your publication history / brief bio & age. (Can be written directly into Submittable.)
- A one page essay on you, or poetry, or how the fellowship will affect you.
- At least one, but no more than five, poems (published or unpublished).
- Fellow must write in English, but international poets are welcome to apply.
- Submissions are rolling: Summer submissions are open from January 1st - May 1st; Winter submissions are open from July 1st - November 1st.
- We will announce the winner in the summer of 2018, as well as the category for the Winter Fellowship.