fron·tier // brink, boundary, borderland· a quality home for new poets
· bringing you only the best
We're excited to host our Poetry Award for New Poets!
Tyehimba Jess will guest judge the contest. Jess's beautiful collection, Olio, won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.
Frontier Poetry staff will select the top fifteen submissions, and the winning poem and honorable mentions will be selected by Jess, to be announced in the fall. The winning poet will be awarded $2000 and publication on Frontier Poetry. Second and third place will win $300 & $200 respectively, as well as publication. The top fifteen finalists will also be recognized.
We do not hold preference for any particular style or topic—we simply seek the best poem we can find. Send us work that is blister, that is color, that strikes hot the urge to live and be.
We strongly invite poets from traditionally under represented or marginalized communities. You, & your words, are welcome here.
Submissions are open to new and emerging writers (poets with no more than two full-length published works forthcoming at the time of submission).
Send us only your best, polished work.
Unpublished poems only.
We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
No more than 3 poems (5 pages) per submission. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
Multiple submissions are allowed.
Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history.
International submissions are welcome.
Submission fee of $20.
Deadline is September 30th.
If you have any questions about submissions of any kind or would like to query a current submission, please send an email to: contact (at) frontierpoetry (dot) com
Submissions for our poetry category are open year round. It is open to any new and emerging author who has not published more than one full-length collection of poetry. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of poems from new authors each month.
We are pleased to announce we offer payment to our
authors. $50 per poem, up to $150. We are thrilled to be paying for
published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for
- Submissions are open to new and emerging writers only (no more than one full-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission).
- Our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft. Bend language, experiment with visuality and form—lay your heart bare on the page. But please, send us polished work. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- All submissions must be 10 pages // 5 poems or less.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- Expect 8-12 weeks for a response