fron·tier // brink, boundary, borderland· a quality home for new poets
· bringing you only the best
Welcome to the Frontier Industry Prize: One Poem // $3000
Submissions are open to emerging poets—submitters should have no more than two full-length collections out or forthcoming at the time of submission.
No identifying information in the submission document. Our diverse team of readers will read all submissions blind.
Unpublished poems only.
We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
ONE poem per submission (due to overwhelming response, and for the sanity of our readers)
There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject.
Multiple submissions are allowed.
Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history and about yourself.
International submissions are welcome.
Submission fee of $20.
Deadline is May 15th
If you have any questions about submissions of any kind or would like to query a current submission, please visit our FAQ page https://www.frontierpoetry.com/faq/, or send an email to: contact (at) frontierpoetry (dot) com
Submissions for our New Voices poetry category are open year round to any new and emerging poet who has not published more than one full-length collection of poetry. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of poems from new authors each month.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our partner poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be paying for
published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the diversity of our beautiful community. Your voice is valued here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging poets only (no more than one full-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission—email us about self-published works)
- Show excellence in your craft. Bend language, experiment with visuality and form—lay your heart bare on the page. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (We want to say congrats!)
- All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- Expect 8-12 weeks for a response
The Frontier Fellowship exists to give opportunity and access to poets in the margins of our community. We’re seeking emerging writers traditionally under represented by mainstream magazines and presses, in order to make that “breaking in” a little easier.
Twice a year, we will award a poet with the Frontier Fellowship: $500 grant meant to be used toward covering industry submission costs, multiple publications (original poetry and prose) in Frontier, participation in our editorial community, and introductions to agents and presses. We customize our fellowships to meet the needs of our chosen fellow: hours per month, number of publications, and publication involvement will vary based on our fellow's availability.
For the Summer Fellow of 2018, we are accepting applications from poets who are 50 or older and who do not have a full-length collection published or forthcoming at the time of submission.
In your application please include:
- A cover letter with your publication history / brief bio & age. (Can be written directly into Submittable.)
- A one page essay on you, or poetry, or how the fellowship will affect you.
- At least one, but no more than five, poems (published or unpublished).
- Fellow must write in English, but international poets are welcome to apply.
- Submissions are rolling: Summer submissions are open from January 1st - May 1st; Winter submissions are open from July 1st - November 1st.
- We will announce the winner in the summer of 2018, as well as the category for the Winter Fellowship.