fron·tier // brink, boundary, borderland· a quality home for new poets
· bringing you only the best
We're excited to host our 2018 Frontier Award for New Poets!
Victoria Chang will guest judge the contest. Victoria's fourth book of poetry Barbie Chang was published by Copper Canyon Press in 2017, and in that same year, she received a Guggenheim Fellowship.
Frontier Poetry staff will select the top fifteen submissions, and the winning poem and honorable mentions will be selected by Chang, to be announced in the fall. The winning poet will be awarded $3000 and publication on Frontier Poetry. Second and third place will win $300 & $200 respectively, as well as publication. The top fifteen finalists will also be recognized.
We do not hold preference for any particular style or topic—we simply seek the best poem we can find. Send us work that is blister, that is color, that strikes hot the urge to live and be. We strongly invite poets from all communities. You, & your words, are welcome here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging writers (poets with no more than two full-length published works forthcoming at the time of submission).
- Send us only your best, polished work.
- Unpublished poems only.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- No more than 3 poems (5 pages) per submission. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Multiple submissions are allowed.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history.
- International submissions are welcome.
- Submission fee of $20.
- Deadline is September 15th.
- Please review our FAQ page for more information: www.frontierpoetry.com/faq
If you have any questions about submissions of any kind or would like to query a current submission, please send an email to: contact (at) frontierpoetry (dot) com
Submissions for our New Voices poetry category are open year round to any new and emerging poet who has not published more than one full-length collection of poetry. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of poems from new authors each month.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our partner poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be paying for
published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the diversity of our beautiful community. Your voice is valued here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging poets only (no more than one full-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission—email us about self-published works)
- Show excellence in your craft. Bend language, experiment with visuality and form—lay your heart bare on the page. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (We want to say congrats!)
- All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- Expect 8-12 weeks for a response
The Frontier Fellowship exists to give opportunity and access to poets often excluded into the margins of our community. We’re seeking emerging writers traditionally under represented by mainstream magazines and presses, in order to make that “breaking in” a little easier.
Twice a year, we will award a poet with the Frontier Fellowship: $500 grant meant to be used toward covering industry submission costs, multiple publications (original poetry and prose) in Frontier, participation in our editorial community, and introductions to agents and presses. We customize our fellowships to meet the needs of our chosen fellow: hours per month, number of publications, and publication involvement will vary based on our fellow's availability.
For the Winter Fellow of 2019, we are accepting applications from poets who are from native nations and/or identify as an indigenous writer.
In your application please include:
- A cover letter with your publication history / brief bio & age. (Can be written directly into Submittable.)
- An answer to the question: why do you poet?
- At least one, but no more than five, poems (published or unpublished).
- Fellow must write in English, but international poets are welcome to apply.
- Deadline is November 30.
- We will announce the winner at the beginning of 2019.