fron·tier // brink, boundary, borderland
· a quality home for new poets
Submissions for our New Voices poetry category are open year round to any new and emerging poet who has not published more than one full-length collection of poetry. New Voices are published online only and will feature a number of poems from new authors each month.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our partner poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the diversity of our beautiful community. Your voice is valued here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging poets only (no more than one full-length published work forthcoming at the time of submission—email us about self-published works)
- Show excellence in your craft. Bend language, experiment with visuality and form—lay your heart bare on the page. Our aim is to showcase writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. Send us only your best.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (We want to say congrats!)
- All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Please include a cover letter with your publication history
- Expect 8-12 weeks for a response
- Please review our FAQ page for more information. Almost all other questions are answered here: www.frontierpoetry.com/faq
The Frontier New Voices Fellowship exists to give opportunity and access to poets often excluded into the margins of our community. We’re seeking emerging writers traditionally under represented by mainstream magazines and presses, in order to make that “breaking in” a little easier.
Twice a year, we will award a poet with the Frontier Fellowship: $500 grant meant to be used toward covering industry submission costs, multiple publications (original poetry and prose) in Frontier, participation in our editorial community, and introductions to agents and presses. We customize our fellowships to meet the needs of our chosen fellow: hours per month, number of publications, and publication involvement will vary based on our fellow's availability.
For the 2020 New Voices Fellow, we are accepting applications from poets who are undocumented and residing in America.
In your application please include:
- A cover letter with your publication history / brief bio & age. (Can be written directly into Submittable.)
- An answer to the question: why do you poet?
- At least one, but no more than five, poems (published or unpublished).
- Fellow must write in English, but international poets are welcome to apply.
- Deadline is October 31.
- We will announce the winner at the beginning of 2020.
We're excited to host our 2019 Frontier Award for New Poets!
A distinguished panel of emerging poets will guest judge the contest: Ocean Vuong, Kaveh Akbar, and Eve Ewing.
Ocean Vuong is the author of the best selling debut, Night Sky With Exit Wounds. His latest effort, the novel On Earth We Are Briefly Gorgeous has been one of the most widely anticipated books of 2019.
Eve Ewing is a genre crossing artist and scholar, the author of the debut award winning collection Electric Arches and the non-fiction Ghosts in the Schoolyard: Racism and School Closings on Chicago's South Side.
Kaveh Akbar has been a Ruth Lilly Fellow from the Poetry Foundation and the founder of Divedapper, a dialogue platform for poets. His debut Calling a Wolf a Wolf was one of the most talked about collections of 2018.
Betois Creative—the amazing boutique agency that represents all three of these poets and many more of our favorites—has also generously offered to have a phone call/video chat with the winner of this contest.
Frontier Poetry staff will select the top ten submissions, and the winning poem and honorable mentions will be selected by the panel of judges, to be announced in the fall. The winning poet will be awarded $3000 and publication on Frontier Poetry. Second and third place will win $300 & $200 respectively, as well as publication. The top ten finalists will also be recognized.
We do not hold preference for any particular style or topic—we simply seek the best poem we can find. Send us work that is blister, that is color, that strikes hot the urge to live and be. We strongly invite poets from all communities. You, & your words, are welcome here.
- Submissions are open to new and emerging writers (poets with no more than two full-length published works forthcoming at the time of submission).
- Send us only your best, polished work.
- Unpublished poems only.
- We accept simultaneous submissions but please notify us if your work is picked up elsewhere.
- No more than 3 poems (5 pages) per submission. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- Multiple submissions are allowed.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history.
- International submissions are welcome.
- Submission fee of $20.
- Deadline is September 15th.
- Please review our FAQ page for more information: www.frontierpoetry.com/faq